Crothersville Indiana - Main Street and Moore Street

CROTHERSVILLE HISTORY

The land which we today know as Crothersville first belonged to Tecumseh, Shawnee Indian Chief. The land around the Crothersville area was free of Indians and settlers began building homes there around 1848. When the railroad was constructed from Louisville to Indianapolis, John Hamacher founded and surveyed the town and named it Haysville. Mr. Crothers was a depot agent of the railroad at that time, and proposed to build a good depot by the Railroad Company IF they would honor him by changing the name of the town from Haysville to Crothersville.

Crothersville then became a thriving business town and an important shipping center. At one time, Crothersville ran the largest stave factory in the state. The original plot of the town consisted of 39 lots being laid off from the railroad.

Crothersville FIRSTS:

Perfect history is impossible - facts and photos appearing here were taken from the Greater Crothersville Centennial published July, 1958.

Armstrong Street in Crothersville Indiana
Highway 31was a mud street in Mule Team Days.

Armstrong Street in Crothersville, Indiana